Friday, February 8, 2013

Year of the Snake


The Earth Snake - traditional, introspective, graceful, intelligent, wise, very dependable.

    Whelp, we have survived the Doom's Day and Zombie Apocalypse theories of an exploding world! One thing we have to realize is that these rumors of a dying world have been around for years. I know the media makes things much more alarming than hearsay, but remember there is a higher power in control of it all. Besides, many people wouldn't know survival if it crept through the shadows, snuck in through the back door, and sat at the dinner table.
    Anyhow, 2013 is here bringing the essence of new goals, visions, and aspirations to forever abide by throughout the year. But lets face it. None of you changed. Remember all those broken promises about saying farewell to cancer sticks or cutting back on alcohol consumption in 2012? I'm sure your kidneys are dying for water, and your hair reeks of cigarette smoke. And I'm sure your stress levels are higher since you gained more weight than what was promised to lose. My point is lets make 2013 DIFFERENT. Lets due away with traditions and making impossible expectations that you don't even believe will happen in the first place. Fear of the unknown lies solely in our minds. Just breathe and live, and that of which is most valuable to you will change.
     On February 10, 2013 the Asians will celebrate their new year; the year of the snake. This means a new year of financial, spiritual and emotional growth, peace and beholding a higher level of wisdom and understanding. Therefore, it is up to us to truly make a spiritual connection with the most high for Him to order our steps down the path designed for us.
   The year of the Snake is a somewhat changeable year, also filled with preparation, contemplation and much reflection. I have confronted many challenging things last year and I am truly thankful for the knowledge Ive attained to reflect over it all. The most inspiring and defining point of my life in 2012 was meeting new people. Its like I lived in a cave for 22 years, unaware of the life outside, offered. I had no idea of the places I'd go, or establish friendships with the people I met. But that only marks the beginning of my travels abroad:
The Libra Exchange

JANUARY-MARCH

Common Ground
Before I could meet anyone I had to know for myself what exactly to look for at the poetry spots. If it was the snap-at-the-end-of-a-poem cliche` thing going on I wanted no part of it. I had went to many different spots on the south side of Indy grateful to find artist who loved words and their composition, before finding a flyer of a spoken word venue in my neighborhood. When I finally had the opportunity to visit the familiar location off 32nd and Clifton that Saturday night, I was in love by the end of the show! The vibe was genuine, the people had true raw talent for spoken word, rapping, singing -I was just amazed. I had only seen such events when I visited other Midwest cities, but to find it at home blew my mind! I realized then that I had found the world I was looking for. Prior to going to Write-On the Poetry Spot, I was contemplating moving to Tennessee. I just wanted to be somewhere different, with a booming poetry scene I had learn to love. But after that night, I knew that getting to know everyone apart of the movement was going to be worth the decision to stay in Indy and grow.
April-June

Building
During this time my love life was pounding with happiness and excitement. I unveiled true giving moments in which I was unaware existed. The feeling of waking up with ample amounts of love, charity, and trust to give is a peaceful feeling knowing that it is shared. Patience was a shiny key with feathers during these months.
    I decided to cut off my relaxed ends of my hair and go natural for the rest of my life. My mother was furious. But the world I had stepped into applauded my comfortability to try new things and discover them for myself. I had let go of the rock I once called home, and let it sink to the bottom of the ocean of past life. I found new music to listen to, friends, and a yearning to write from the truest depth of me. I discovered life in Indianapolis I had no idea existed. Its quite small, but alive none-the-less. And I enjoyed every moment.





July-September

Adventure
    By this time I had a new job making decent money that wasn't too demanding of my social life. The opportunity to grow in my career field became more real each time i attended events around town. I had the chance to put my journalism skills to work for the first time at an event at A Different Peace of Mind. I was nervous to be honest, but after a while those jitters went away and I was in interview mode the rest of the night.
     In August I started my first internship with Midwest Fashion Week, doing the same thing I love just with different crowds. Being apart of MWFW and their many events really forced me to shed the many layers of shyness, and awkwardness I held onto to. It was imperative I talk to people in order to deliver the appropriate story and I wasn't giving failure an option. By doing so, I learned alot more about my capabilities as a journalist and my people skills.
    On September 23, I traveled with three other poets to New York City for a "Street Poets NYC" event that happens every year. I never believed that I would visit such a quick-paced world at twenty-two. Excuse me, I celebrated twenty-three years of life there!!! Just being with the people at Central Park, shopping in downtown Brooklyn and Times Square made me realize the simple joys life will bring outside of the norm. Prior to the trip, I always wanted to go back to the south in the Florida's and North Carolina's. But now? NYC ALL DAY.














October-December
   
 Self Reflection
     Since the trip back from New York, I have become more aware of my talents and taking responsibility of doing things that bring me happiness. I'm a writer. I enjoy interviewing artist and allowing them to share the deepest parts of their mind with the public. I have networked with the right people to build a small team of innovative business partners.
    We are two months into 2013 and I am very proud of the things Ive accomplished. I understand the beauty that lies on the other side of the door of opportunity. And instead of staying beneath that comforting rock, I have ventured out and configured my world. I have a new found appreciation for my talents than before and my vision to live out my dreams become more clear each time I edit my goals. My life seem is write, and rewrite.
   I've gained so much respect for love and its sometimes confusing ways. Love simply adores me and I appreciate Love so much for revealing her many faces, when I couldn't muster the strength to glance her way at times. I will never lose love, no matter how weak my heart bends nearing its breaking point. Sometimes Love will be easy like Sunday morning. Other times, especially this last quarter, she is firm in her beliefs. Attending to the many levels Love has to offer, one will be kissed by an abundance of understanding over time.
    This year focus more on setting and achieving short term and long term goals. Often times breakthroughs are made but achieved in silence. The year of the Snake is not a calm year like before where time flies with nothing accomplished. There will be sharp dealings, possibly turmoil and even war if differences cannot be resolved, but this time all you need is you. No one should be able to knock you off course this time around. Be happy, and live prosperous. 



No comments:

Post a Comment